Constructed as a third class corridor carriage (TK) at the LMS Derby Carriage and Wagon works to diagram 1782. After withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1962 to a Chief Civil Engineers Staff and Dormitory Coach. Renumbered to departmental stock as DM395801. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 60' 0" x 9' 0".
1501 (LMS code 'CF', BR code 'TK') was constructed in 1930 as a third class corridor at the LMSR Derby Carriage and Wagon Works to diagram 1782 and is one of a batch of 10 to lot 551. After withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1962 to a Chief Civil Engineers Staff and Dormitory Coach. Renumbered to departmental stock as DM395801. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 60' 0" x 9' 0"
BEFORE: This is the sight which Harvey, Alison, John and myself faced at Bitton on a very hot August day in 1998. We saw then that maybe we were being a bit optimistic but 1501 was such a rare vehicle that we decided she needed to be saved. Over the next two days and with help from the volunteers at Bitton we secured the interior, fastened back any loose panelling and covered her with a large tarpaulin for the journey home.
AFTER: And nearly four years work later, we took time out to construct the shed in the intervening two years. On 31st May we arranged to roll 1501 out for her official photograph session at Rowsley. This is the compartment side which has the windows sealed. The final livery chosen was the 'Ivatt' livery which was used on only very few LMS vehicles after the Second World War.
BEFORE: (left) A view of the interior corridor side as it was when we acquired 1501, compare this with the view to the right.
AFTER: (right) The corridor side as it is now awaiting installation of display material. 1501's interior is now divided into three sections utilising two intermediate display panels. Here Dave Turnock and Alan Taylor are seen completing their installation. The Association is pursuing grant aid for this part of the scheme and also liaising with other local voluntary groups to produce a varied and interesting exhibition which it has now been agreed will be situated at Peak Rail's main Rowsley site.
Well, we've always known this vehicle as 'TK2' (our second LMS TK you see) however TK2 was renumbered by the LMS in 1932 to 1501 and this number was carried until renumbered again by British Railways to its final departmental number (DM395801) so this is the number she would have carried at the time the 'Ivatt' livery was in use.
After fitting the carpet tiles to Peak Rail's restaurant car some years ago, it was only to be expected that the Chairman John Leather became designated as our expert carpet tile layer and is here seen fitting the last few tiles in 1501.
This is 1501's corridor side internal refurbishment almost completed. Quite a difference. After concentrating on the exterior again for a while one of the next jobs was the fitting of glass in the window apertures. The ceiling is also slightly improved having been repanelled with birch plywood using the 'magic mushrooms'. 1501 will eventually be used for a public exhibition facility at Rowsley site.
We made progress on 1501 during the latter part of 2000 and beginning of 2001 despite atrocious weather and our rather basic working conditions at Darley Dale. Most work has concentrated on the interior as can be seen below. Now the weather is improving again we have moved outside and started to tackle the remaining un-restored side. This time rather than replacing the all steel panelled exterior, it was decided to fit original design wooden mouldings around the window apertures.
On fine days, attention is nearly always focused onto tasks requiring action on the exterior. The result has been the complete stripping of old paint from the underframe, superficial repairs to the side frames and some re-sheeting with new material. On this side new beading has been manufactured and fitted around the windows. In readiness for painting this side has been part filled and sanded down uncovering the carriage's previous number and allocation. Note the condemned 'to breakers' symbol beyond.
Fortunately there are only four external opening doors on the sides and all of these have been removed for ease of repair. All four have been stripped and repairs made to the teak frames. New metal lower panels have been fitted where necessary, broken hinges replaced and wooden beading manufactured. Reclaimed droplights have been refurbished to replace the rotten wooden variety for the time being and all four doors are now painted in undercoat ready for re-hanging.
The actual identity of the carriage is now in some doubt. In fact all the external doors fitted have the number 3031 (pre 1933 number) stamped into their frames as was common practice at the time and each has its Roman numeral ID stamped I, II, III or IV, also plainly visible on each. It is unlikely that all the doors have been replaced by secondhand ones and therefore the identity of this carriage may in fact be 3031 and not 3030! It is also the case that during restoration to exhibition use, the rear of certain panelling was found to have the number 1501 written in pencil probably by contemporary carriage repairers or constructors. Therefore for the time being at least its better known identity of 1501 will be used.
The completed floor showing the large plywood sheets. finally in place. The floor was repaired using waterproof and fireproof 25mm plywood sheeting which in total cost as much as the carriage itself but which should now last for many years if the carriage is kept watertight. The new flooring was assembled during the winter months and a cold job it was too!
On arrival at Darley Dale the immediate task was to clear all unwanted material within and then to sort it, or dispose of it. The first essential task was to repair the roof and make it watertight again. This was achieved using temporary coverings in order to keep the cost to a manageable amount. This was successfully done and 1501 soon began to 'dry out'. An immediate start was then made on complete replacement of the floor boards, fortunately few repairs to the floor framing itself were required. Notice towards the right of the photograph one of the full-size droplight plate glass windows, still in place and operable, this is typical of period two designs.
When first acquired what remained of the interior and much of its contents was in a very sorry state. Despite efforts by the few remaining LMS Society members to keep 1501 watertight and due to its remote location, this was not easy and further deterioration resulted. During its stay at Bitton little work was possible to stabilise the condition of the vehicle and inevitable vandalism did not help either. The carriage became a store for spares acquired by the Society to refurbish this and other LMS rolling stock in its ownership. As can be seen from the photograph some compartment walls remain and some of the corridor paneling also. The unique period two droplight compartment window mechanisms are all fortunately intact and have been recovered. Other than these items the carriage's condition was such that most of what remained of the interior and floor had to be removed for disposal.
The sight which met us at Bitton in August 1999. 1501 had been purchased by the LMS Society directly out of British Railways departmental service from Warrington and after withdrawal due to internal fire damage at one end. It was subsequently moved from there to the Mid Hants railway where it was used as a shop and mess by the Society. An enforced move from Alresford to Bitton in the late 80s resulted in the Society base becoming remote from its members.
|1501 Pages:||1501 (LMS P2 Corridor Third D1782) C7LSo ~ 1501 Background|
|LMSCA Stocklist:||10825 ~ 1295 ~ 1501 ~ 27001 ~ 27109 ~ 27162 ~ 2741 ~ 31216 ~ 394 ~ 621 ~ 6720 ~ 7828 ~ 9125 ~ BR 86183 ~ BR 94522 ~ BR 94589 ~ BR 94630|