10825 Arrival of Medical Carriage
The LMS Carriage Association (LMSCA) has taken delivery of a First World War ambulance carriage for restoration. It was built in 1918 at the Newton Heath works of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, as part of an ambulance train for the U.S. Expeditionary Force in France.
After the war, it went into storage until 1923 when the LMS (London, Midland & Scottish Railway) converted it into a "Medical Examination Carriage" 10825 (LMS Medical Examination Car LYR D150) B0LRc. It was used as a mobile clinic for staff eye and hearing tests. The interior was divided into a waiting room, changing cubicles, examination room and a sleeping space for the medical officer.
It was withdrawn from service in 1971 and was rescued by a group of carriage enthusiasts based in Glossop. In the early 1990s it was transferred to the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester where volunteers carried out further restoration work.
It has now been transferred into the ownership of the LMSCA who plan to complete its restoration for use as a dining and party saloon, with disabled access, but retaining as many of its original features as practical. Exhibits of its WW1 and subsequent history will be displayed in the carriage.
|10825 Pages:||10825 (LMS Medical Examination Car LYR D150) B0LRc|
|10825 Videos:||10825 Arrival of Medical Carriage|
|LMSCA Stocklist:||10825 ~ 1295 ~ 1501 ~ 27001 ~ 27109 ~ 27162 ~ 2741 ~ 31216 ~ 394 ~ 621 ~ 6720 ~ 7828 ~ 9125 ~ BR 86183 ~ BR 94522 ~ BR 94589 ~ BR 94630|