Constructed as a third class corridor carriage (TK) at the LMS Derby Carriage and Wagon works to diagram 1695. After withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1959 to a Signal and Telegraph Department Staff and Dormitory Coach. Renumbered to departmental stock as KDM395498. Later internal user number 024744. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 57' 0" x 8' 10½".
1295 (LMS code ‘CF’, BR code ‘TK’) was constructed in 1924 as a third class corridor carriage at the LMSR Derby Carriage and Wagon works to diagram 1695 and is one of a batch of 17 to lot 71. Renumbered from 1371 in 1933 and after withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1959 to a Signal and Telegraph Department Staff and Dormitory Coach. Renumbered to departmental stock as KDM395498, later as internal user number 024744. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 57' 0" x 8' 10½".
In October 1997 four LMS carriage enthusiasts set off to Old Oak Common and there in the company of Andrew Wylie examined the last group of LMS carriages to be offered for sale on British Railways tender lists. 1295 was one of these shown after use in period drama filming. Its last appearance necessitated its superficial conversion to an LNWR carriage for the film ‘Miss Marple’. The LNWR crests can be clearly seen together with the covering of some windows internally with opaque material, dummy door ventilators complete the illusion.
Externally few modifications had been undertaken except for the removal of the corridor connections, a common requirement for a departmental service vehicle. Here Harvey is seen examining the remaining internal corridor panelling 1295 is a Derby built carriage and therefore has full panelling over the body framework, whereas similar Wolverton built ones carried on the LNWR practice of rebating panels into the main body framework.
These two photographs are views along the existing corridor. Much of the internal corridor partitioning and panelling remains with only a short section at one end removed in order to create a communal messing area. Missing corridor partitions have fortunately been sourced from 1501 which was modified using some identical ones.
Diagram 1695 represents the standard third corridor design in the pre-Stanier period, nearly 300 examples being constructed. As with most LMS carriages at this time they appeared outwardly to be pure Midland Railway design. On closer inspection however there is obvious LNWR influence noticeably in external dimensions. Surviving use in passenger traffic many were modified for departmental purposes. 1295 is seen here being unloaded at Darley Dale in 1998.
Before being covered with tarpaulins to prevent further deterioration, 1295 was given a coat of maroon paint along one side. Since this last photograph was taken a number of missing parts including corridor connections have been acquired towards eventual restoration.