6720 — LMS Period 1, Corridor Composite

6720 built in 1929-30

Constructed as a first class and third class corridor brake carriage (BCK) at the LMS Wolverton Carriage and Wagon works to diagram 1704. Rebuilt around 1940 to Period 3 outline to diagram 1704A. After withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1965 to a Breakdown Train Unit (BTU) Staff Coach. Renumbered to departmental stock as ADM395845. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 60' 0" x 9' 0".

6720 (LMS code 'CBB', BR code 'BCK') was constructed in 1929-30 as a composite (first and third class) corridor brake at the LMSR Wolverton Carriage and Wagon Works to diagram 1704 and is one of a batch of 50 to lot 454. Renumbered from 9864 in 1933 and rebuilt around 1940 to Period 3 outline to diagram 1704A. After withdrawal from revenue earning service, converted in 1965 to a Breakdown Train Unit (BTU) Staff Coach and renumbered to departmental stock as ADM395845. TOPS code: QPV. Dimensions 60' 0" x 9' 0".

Photograph 568: Peter Stanley

Photograph 568: Peter Stanley

The first two photographs are 6720 before its purchase and movement from the Midland Railway Centre to Rowsley in August 1995. It is illustrated here partially restored by a group of youngsters on a government training scheme, unfortunately the scheme was abandoned before 6720 was completed. It is seen standing outside the Matthew Kirtley Building at Swanwick Junction in its part painted condition and minus its roof canvas.

Photograph 569: Peter Stanley

Photograph 569: Peter Stanley

6720 still in red undercoat finish and with missing corner beading. The raised section just discernable in the centre of the roof was inserted when modified for departmental use. The vehicle was converted as a messing coach including a food preparation area for which copious supplies of water were required, hence the additional centrally positioned roof mounted water tanks only just clearing the loading gauge by the looks of it!

Photograph 427: Alan Taylor

Photograph 427: Alan Taylor

With the roof now covered with waterproof felt material and the red gloss finish completed, 6720 is seen standing in the 'Burma Road' at Darley Dale. 9864 is a bit of a hybrid as it was originally constructed at Wolverton to standard period 1 specifications. The body was modernised to period 3 design around 1940, most notably resulting in the flush metal side panelling, the ends remained classic period 1 as can be seen in this illustration. An additional toilet window was fitted at the same time between the guard's compartment and the entrance vestibule, now panelled over.

Photograph 498: Alan Taylor

Photograph 498: Alan Taylor

6720 is seen as converted in 1965 to a Breakdown Train Unit staff coach for use with the breakdown train based at Toton Depot in Nottinghamshire and for this new role was renumbered ADM395845. High level water tanks were fitted centrally in the roof, a raised roof section being constructed to accommodate them. Partially restored in its departmental condition at the Midland Railway Centre, 6720 was later considered surplus to requirements and was purchased by a member of the LMSCA and brought to Darley Dale.

Photographs 499: Alan Taylor

Photograph 499: Alan Taylor

Photographs 500: Alan Taylor

Photograph 500: Alan Taylor

These photographs show the messing area for the breakdown train staff and the long dining table installed for their use. The area of the steam heating radiators installed could mislead the uninformed to believe that this was an LMS Sauna carriage! Additionally a kitchen compartment, seating area, two toilets and storage areas for coats and overalls was included. Unfortunately little of the original interior remains from its days as a composite passenger carrying vehicle.