Other LMS Coaches

OTHER LMS COACHES

Photograph 595: Derek Mason

Photograph 595: Derek Mason

DM395884 is pictured at Crewe South in the mid 90s. Originally a third corridor to diagram 1899 lot 796, built in 1934 and numbered 1641. It was one of two converted in 1964 as a Staff and Dormitory coach It was out of use as early as 1984 and is seen here stripped of any remaining useful parts awaiting the cutters torch.

Photograph 593: Derek Mason

Photograph 593: Derek Mason

M44414, formerly 5939 (1926) and 8023 (1933) and M44404 formerly 5806(1926) and 8000 (1933) are both all-steel third opens built to diagram 1745 to lot 185 by Metro-Cammell Carriage and Wagon in Birmingham. Both were converted for use as boiler vans in 1960 in association with the Manchester to Crewe electrification scheme due to a shortage of electrically heated passenger stock.

Photograph 594: Derek Mason

Photograph 594: Derek Mason

M44404,These conversions were used behind the electric locomotive to provide steam heating for through trains until sufficient dual heated stock became available. They could be seen until the demise of steam heating on British Railways in carriage sidings and at terminal stations where they provided pre-heating steam supplies to warm stock prior to attaching the train locomotive.

Photograph 501: Derek Mason

Photograph 501: Derek Mason

44004 with 44414, at the East Lancashire Railway resided there until relatively recently when both were scrapped. Converted in the 60s, no interior parts remained. Underframe components did however prove useful to the LMSCA and some of these were recovered to provide spare parts for those missing or in need of replacement on our LMS carriages. Another similar carriage 5682 (1926), 7991 (1933) sold to the Manchester Ship Canal Company, then to the Severn Valley Railway. Now located at The Midland Railway Centre. This vehicle attended the 150 celebrations at Shildon and is now stored at Butterley.

Photograph 589: Derek Mason

Photograph 589: Derek Mason

This volunteer accommodation coach is former LMSR corridor third number M1782 pictured here whilst still on its reserved track at Goathland about 1996. It is built to diagram 1899 and one of a batch of 120 constructed at the Wolverton Carriage Works in 1934. Many other identical vehicles were constructed pre-war. Prewar, many main line corridor coaches were constructed by the LMS, very few of these remain in existence today however.

Photograph 590: Derek Mason

Photograph 590: Derek Mason

After withdrawal, some were converted to Departmental use M1782 becoming a staff van for the CCE's fleet allocated to the Manchester district. The internal fittings were stripped and the coach fitted out for staff living quarters. On withdrawal in 1979, it was acquired by the NYMR with a view to conversion as a camping coach at Levisham a plan later superceded by its use for volunteer accommodation at Goathland, pictured here still in use for this purpose in the 1990s.

Photograph 591: Derek Mason

Photograph 591: Derek Mason

Deterioration over a long period and the need to improve accommodation standards for volunteers resulted in the carriage being declared redundant. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway offered it to any seriously interested party for preservation rather than scrapping. This offer was taken up by a member of the Churnet Valley Railway who intends eventually to restore it to working order again. The coach is presently stored under cover at Oakamoor sidings.

Photograph 511: Derek Mason

Photograph 511: Derek Mason

1307 is the Period 1 Third Corridor located at the West Coast Railway's facility at Carnforth. It is sad to see it in such a sorry state and still out in the open. It is however safe and for sale to anyone who is seriously interested. If anyone is interested contact the West Coast Railway Co. but please remember that there is absolutely NO public access to the site without prior permission.

Photograph 508: Derek Mason

Photograph 508: Derek Mason

Also for sale at Carnforth are two LMSR BGs. The one illustrated has been modified internally for accommodation purposes and also disguised externally for filming contracts. Essentially however it remains intact. For details again contact the West Coast Railway at Carnforth in the first instance as viewing is by appointment only.

Photograph 503: Harvey Coppock

Photograph 503: Harvey Coppock

One of the LMSCA's first recovery jobs was a local one in Derbyshire. We were informed of the presence of this LMSR horsebox at Brassington and told that the owner wished to dispose of it. We went, we saw and then we took it to bits! Surprisingly many metal parts were recovered and the teak framing was still in good condition some of this being used in the restoration of 27001, our BTK.

Photograph 506: Alan Taylor

Photograph 506: Alan Taylor

On a previous visit to relatives at Aylesbury, one of our members was requested to take a photo of a period one CK in use at the railway station as a model railway clubhouse. Standing adjacent to the station, it was looking a little forlorn and (2002) out of use. Recently (2006) acquired by a private individual and now located at the GC(Nottingham) Railway at Ruddington.

Photograph 502: Derek Mason

Photograph 502: Derek Mason

An ex- bright red BGZ at the Midland Railway Centre? 32998 came to the centre from Tinsley after departmental use. Bought by a locomotive group there, it was later made redundant. Consequent further deterioration made restoration uneconomic. 32998 was gradually broken up, only the chassis surviving serving another purpose. Some of the better body parts were retained however for use on other LMSR vehicles.

Photograph 507: Derek Mason

Photograph 507: Derek Mason

Built at Wolverton in 1945 to diagram 1999, is one of 350 such vehicles to lot 1401,  27162 is seen at The Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton Road. One of several preserved period III post-war diagram 1999 open thirds, it was withdrawn in the mid 1960s and converted to a exhibition vehicle which travelled around the country displaying various manufacturers' goods. It was withdrawn a such in the late 70s and acquired by a QRS member in 1978. Although plated over, window vents can be seen, the original windows remaining intact beneath. Unusually for departmental vehicles, both corridor connections also remain.

(27162 was acquired by the LMSCA in 2009)